The first step to look for a new opportunity is to figure where to look. The following tableau story tries to answer this question for high skilled foreign workers in USA. The data is collected from the publicly available work visa data from Office of Foreign labor Certification website.
Some insights derived from the data:
Who is paid highest?
- Techies are not the highest paid foreign workers, attorneys are.
- It is a really good time to be a data scientist as they are very less in number but very highly paid.
- Visa class do not effect the salary for most of the job groups.
- The maximum median paid wage for data scientists are on a rise! The minimum paid wage, though shows a lowering trend, it is not significant enough to consider.
- Business Analysts and Data Analysts are at a higher risk of getting a lower median paid wage than before.
- Software engineers have the chance of higher pay and also the risk of lower pay.
Who pays the most?
Contrary to popular belief, California is not the highest paying state for Analysts. Montana pays highest to business analysts and Delaware pays highest to data analysts.
Considering the cost of living i.e. adjusting the median pay with 2015 price parity data for each state , it looks like California is not the best place to earn high salary as data scientist. The best place for data scientist is Arizona.
The following screenshots from the story shows how you can filter out the best place and the best companies according to the job group, experience in months and education level.
The professions considered here are attorney, professors, data scientist, data analyst, business analyst, software engineers, management consultant and teacher. This visualization is inspired from the 'Data Visualization with Tableau' course from Duke university by Coursera.
Take a look at the whole story here.